From Redneck Diva to Domestic Goddess....experience the transformation!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Save it....Freeze it!

Ever wish your grocery store would carry smaller containers of buttermilk? I have several recipes that use only a couple of tablespoons and then I'm left with this big container that will eventually go to waste. I mean, really, does anyone use a whole half gallon of buttermilk before it expires anyway?

Well, here's a good tip for you...freeze it! I freeze my leftover buttermilk in 2 Tbsp portions using my ice cube trays. Once frozen, you can store the cubes in a freezer bag. Plus, since you've already measured them, you can just pull out whatever you need when a recipe calls for buttermilk.


The cubes can be melted at the low power setting in your microwave or you can let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Freezing buttermilk, or any dairy, will cause the solids and the whey to separate. To reincorporate the solids and they whey, you'll want to be sure to whisk or run the buttermilk in the blender before using it.

I've also used this method for half and half as well as whole milk. It really saves you money in the long run and you'll always be sure to have it on hand when it's needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment